Bulk Material Handling
ELB Engineering Services is a global leader providing a world class capability encompassing the supply of turnkey packages from run-of-mine tip to ship loading equipment.
Using the latest technology available, bulk material handling systems are designed to suit client needs for short and long-term objectives. The most effective and economical solution is provided over a wide range of dry bulk material applications, including the handling of ores, coal, cereals, woodchips, sand, gravel and stone in loose bulk form.
ELB’s clients are found in the power generation, cement, mining, metallurgical, manufacturing and port sectors.
ELB’s world class technology partners in bulk handling:
- FAM: bulk materials handling, mining systems, stockyard systems, mineral processing, loading systems, conveying systems and port technology equipment.
- Thor Global Enterprises: telescopic portable radial stacker.
- Heyl & Patterson: tandem tipplers and side arm chargers.
- CDI: evaluating and optimizing belt conveyor systems and components for extremes of length, power, strength, life, dust control and cost.
- 9 Dot Solutions: analysis and design solutions.
- Flexco/Tasman-Warajay: application-specific transfer system solutions.
Conveyors (Overland, Pipe and In-plant)
ELB’s range of conveyors cater for any plant, overland or stockyard conveying needs, providing efficient, dependable and cost-effective systems including:
- Overland belt conveyors able to pass through tortuous routes, curved, up and downhill, and with regenerative opportunities. One of the world’s largest single flight overland conveyors has been designed, fabricated and installed by ELB for a coal operation, at just under 27km long,
- In-plant conveyors,
- Pipe conveyors for environmentally friendly conveying, protecting the product and the surroundings from contamination.
Using advanced design technologies, ELB conveyor systems reduce friction and, as a result, power consumption, resulting in longer belt life and savings in operating costs.
Transfer chute design is critical to the effectiveness of the overall materials handling system design. The cost incurred from transfer chute blocking can vastly outweigh the capital cost of the chute due to production losses.
ELB designs transfer chutes based on a thorough understanding of the materials. Using advanced chute design methods in partnership with a world leader in material transfer design, ELB can predict patterns based on knowledge of the behaviour and flow characteristics of materials under handling, storage, reclaim and feeding conditions encountered in day-to-day operations.
Stackers and Reclaimers
ELB offers a complete range of stackers for stacking circular, kidney or length stockpiles as well as for homogenization and blending. A machine is custom designed suited to the material to be stacked and the stockyard. A comprehensive range of telescopic portable radial and transfer conveyors can also be supplied.
Combination bucket wheel stacker and reclaimers offer the following advantages:
- Minimizing the total number of machines on a stockyard,
- Reduction of number of conveyors.
ELB offers a range of machines which ensure that the run-of-mine (ROM) ore and product stockyards are designed to meet the specific client requirements. Whether the need is for blending or only stacking, ELB has the technology available to couple it to the reclaiming used to optimise feeding of the material to a plant, a train loading station or even a vessel.
The range of reclaimers includes bridge-type reclaimers, portal reclaimers and bucket-wheel reclaimers for high capacities.
Train Loading Stations
ELB’s in-house designed train and truck loading stations have been proven in numerous iron ore, coal and bauxite applications worldwide.
The systems offer:
- Simple loading with a minimum number of components for optimal performance and minimized downtime,
- Weighing technology for weighing accuracy to measure wagon loads to within ±0.5%. This ensures that wagons are evenly loaded,
- Components designed and manufactured to superior quality standards for long life and reliable operation.
Key components of ELB train and truck loading systems are specifically designed for the application and site needs.
Ship Loaders and Unloaders
ELB ship loaders have been applied to a wide range of bulk solid materials from iron ore and coal, through to fertilizers, grains as well as bagged material such as cement bags.
Ship loaders are built in capacities from 1,000 to 15,000tph. They are designed to suit the loading of a variety of vessels from Handymax, Panamax and Cape up to Valemax/Chinamax vessels.
Ship loaders are available as fixed installations (the most widely used) and as mobile versions.
- Fixed installation types include travelling (with luffing and slewing capability) and radial-quadrant.
- Mobile ship loaders are available in rubber-tyred or track-mounted versions.
Ship loaders are designed to meet stringent international standards. Our installation is designed to minimise disruptions to terminal activities.
Tipplers and Side Arm Chargers (SAC)
ELB offers a comprehensive range of train unloading technology:
- Tandem Tippler: Ideal for dumping of rotary-coupled cars,
- Rotary Tippler: C-Frame and O-Frame Rotary Tipplers, for off-loading random, rotary and non-rotary coupled cars, operating at low power.
For tippler station upgrades, ELB offers either individual equipment or a turnkey approach.
ELB offers a complete line of Side Arm Chargers (SACs) or Positioners that can be used for loading, unloading and other types of applications, without locomotive assistance. The machines can push or pull railcars in either a manual or automatic mode.
ELB Engineering Services provides green solutions that optimise efficient power management and power savings, enabling its client base to be self-reliant in its power needs.
ELB services cover:
- Power Generation with an emphasis on renewables and cogeneration,
- Design small scale power plants based on:
- Heavy fuel oils/diesel,
ELB gas-based cogeneration (Combined Heat and Power – CHP) systems are ideally suited as captive power plants (i.e. power plants located at site of use) and enable the simultaneous production of electricity with the recovery and utilisation of heat.
With more than 20 years in the design of these plants, ELB Engineering Services designs and builds plants in capacities from 100KW to 9MW. These plants offer:
- Low Capex, but higher running costs than biomass plants,
- Efficiencies of around 90% if used as a combined heating/power plant,
- Containerised/skid mounted versions, enabling relocation.
Heavy Fuel Oils/Diesel
ELB plants are mobile, flexible and can be deployed on short notice.
The units may be installed in parallel to provide clients with as little or as much power as they need — up to hundreds of megawatts. They can be complemented with transformers, electrical substations, distribution systems and other auxiliary equipment.
ELB’s biomass fired power plants are long-term, environmentally-friendly solutions for utilities and companies looking to reduce their carbon footprint and/or increase the green energy contribution to their annual energy sales.
ELB can offer Biomass/Waste-to-Energy (WTE) plants capacities from 5MW to >25MW Elec (Net). Features of these plants are:
- High capex but low fuel cost as use waste,
- Efficiency ±89%,
- Low emissions,
- High Efficiency – 113 Bar, 540°C.
Two technologies are available: Incinerator (generally for municipal waste) and digester.
FINE POWDER HANDLING
Fine Powder Handling
ELB Engineering Services supplies fine powder handling systems for moving powdered, granular and pellet materials to a wide range of industries.
Providing individual equipment to turnkey packages, ELB design custom systems that meet the client’s material handling requirements.
ELB’s world class technology partner in fine powder handling:
- Cyclonaire: engineering and manufacturing of pneumatic conveying equipment.
Lean Phase Conveying
Lean-phase pneumatic conveying systems are high-speed systems that are economical and efficient for conveying low tonnages over short distances. They are suitable for conveying non-abrasive and non-fragile materials with a light density such as flour and cornstarch.
- Optimum hygienic conditions vital for food products,
- Minimal maintenance,
- Conveying routes that may be horizontal, vertical and tortuous, up to over 200m.
Simultaneous conveying and drying
The Drycon technology simultaneously transports and dries particulate materials. The system can effectively dry material which has a feed moisture content.
Dense Phase Conveying
Dense phase pneumatic conveying is a low-speed system providing low wear on both the system and the materials being conveyed. Dense phase conveying is suitable for very fragile materials and mixtures.
The system offers:
- Minimum power requirement,
- Distances of up to 2 km.
The Fluidcon system, which substantially reduces power consumption, can be used to convey fine bulk solids that can be transported with low air velocities and expand consistently during the process.
ELB offers technology for the off-loading of fine powders from silos or bins including:
- Flow control gates for discharge from silos and bins in a controlled manner,
- Lump breakers for crushing of lumps, which have formed in silos or bins,
- Rotary feeders for bulk solids, which have to be discharged in controlled doses from silos and bins,
- Flow control gates.
Bulk Loading Systems
ELB provides bulk loading systems as mobile or fixed installations.
Fluidized conveying systems allow for dust-free loading of vehicles with powdered bulk materials through the totally closed conveying system.
The bellows-type loading spout accommodates the different heights of the vehicles and the diameters of the inlet sockets on the vehicles.
ELB Engineering Services supplies technologies and equipment to process run of mine ore as well as supporting technologies such as water treatment plants.
ELB process equipment can be customised to suit a client’s requirements and is cost-effective, reliable, practical in its operation and easily maintained. Process equipment is designed to optimise recovery.
ELB’s s wide experience in a range of technologies includes specialist expertise in Dense Media Separation (DMS), spiraling and gravity concentration.
ELB provides solid/liquid separation equipment for the minerals, chemical and industrial markets.
Laboratory tests and comprehensive experience ensure that the equipment is correctly sized for the application.
- Flotation circuits – for roughing, scavenging, cleaning and re-cleaning applications,
- Sedimentation – rapid rate thickeners, paste thickeners, high density thickeners, ultra-high rate thickeners and lamella thickeners,
- Filtration – automatic belt and sand filters and manual, semi-automatic and automatic filter presses in different sizes,
- Clarification – including packed bed clarifiers and flocculant plants.
A full range of attrition scrubbing machines is supplied by ELB. These machines are simple, highly efficient units for:
- Scrubbing and dissolving hard-to-dissolve minerals,
- Removing surface layers from minerals that are no longer active.
The advantage of this type of attrition is that there is little wear on the machine itself.
Mineral Dressing Equipment
ELB offers a range of technologies for crushing and separating ore into valuable and waste material. This process, known as pre-concentration, reduces the size of the plant that will be required to process the run of mine ore into valuable minerals.
The technologies include:
- Dense Media Separation (DMS),
- Gravity concentration,
- Froth flotation,
- Electrostatic separation,
- Magnetic separation,
- Ore sorting and dewatering.
Mineral Concentration and Recovery
ELB supplies the complete range of technologies required for mineral concentration and recovery plants, these technologies cover flotation, dewatering, leaching, Solvent Extraction (SX), electrowinning and Ion Exchange (IX) processes.
Reagent Handling and Make-up Systems
ELB provides custom made units in sizes suitable for the reagent concentrations required by the specific application.
Small to large units are available for low power usage and simple operation.
ELB supplies industrial systems for water and wastewater treatment.
Water treatment technologies include:
- DAF-dissolved Air Flotation,
- Multi Media Sand Filters.
ELB Engineering Services is a total solutions provider in the minerals and metals industries, specialising in the design and construction of process plants as well as providing the associated supporting infrastructure.
Engineered Technologies offers complete process plants including modular processing plants for a variety of processing applications which include coal, diamond, gold, phosphate, iron ore, manganese and chrome.
ELB provides both fixed modular and mobile plants.
The range includes:
- Mobile, diesel units built on tracks for crushing ROM ore, stockpiling and screening,
- Modular plants for crushing and screening, washing/scrubbing dense media separation (DMS) and beneficiation of fine material for iron ore, manganese and coal,
- Modular thickener and flocculant plants.
ELB specialises in the design and construction of complete modular plants (the M-range) in partnership with PBA Projects.
A modular plant solves the problem of erecting a permanent facility when operations have to be moved to other locations. The advantages include:
- Less time is required to develop a project as both module and civil work can be carried out at the same time,
- A modular plant is quickly and efficiently assembled and disassembled at different sites at less cost than a permanent processing facility. This means there is no need for large capital investment at the beginning of the project,
- The plants can be transported by road.
The modules range from 100 to 400tph. For larger capacities, an additional Modular Plant can be installed.
All off-the-shelf components used in the Modular Plants come from well-established and respected suppliers to the industry. Motor control centers and control rooms are built into containers.
The M-RANGE includes:
- Processing plants,
- Modular conveyors,
- Crushers and screens,
ELB is a specialist in Dense-Media Separation (DMS) for the diamond and coal processing industry, as well as for the base metal and Platinum Group Metals (PGM) to pre-concentrate the feed before the main recovery process.
DMS plants are designed to provide effective low cost and optimal recovery of complex ores.
ELB’s DMS plants are built as modular plants that can be included in an overall plant.
ELB offers a wide range of magnetic separation technologies including:
- Wet and dry, Low-Intensity Magnetic Separation (LIMS),
- Wet and dry rotor separators,
- Wet, High-Intensity Magnetic Separation (WHIMS),
- Roll magnetic separators to process weakly magnetic materials,
- Induction-Roll Magnetic Separation (IRMS) for cleaning and concentrating dry materials.
ELB offers a range of ore sorting technologies to pre-concentrate ROM ore to reduce the size of recovery plants that will be required.
- Flotation – conventional mechanical and column flotation cells,
- Radiometric sorting,
- Gravity concentration – jigging and Dense Media Separation (DMS),
- Sensor based sorting – a developing technology.
All forms of crushing and sizing equipment are available as stationary or mobile units:
- Primary gyratory, cone and jaw crushers,
- Grinding mills and systems,
- SAG/AG, ball and rod mills.
Using computer modelling, a crushing circuit is designed to achieve the required reduction in the size of the ore.
ELB’s screening systems include:
- Screens, cyclones, spirals and shaking tables,
- Wet-gravity circuits and water-handling systems,
- Dry-mill circuits with feeders, mills and sand traps,
- Feed hoppers, surge bins, conveyors, elevators and transfer points.
ELB designs complete diamond recovery plants. The systems are automated and recover up to 98 % of diamonds, depending on diamond characteristics.
The plants consist of:
- Feed preparation, which includes milling, crushing, scrubbing and screening,
- Dense Media Separation (DMS),
- Grease and/or X-ray sorting modules for final diamond recovery.
The plant capacities range from 1tph to 200tph.
ELB designs complete gold recovery plants. The plants include technologies to:
- Receive run-of-mine (ROM) ore,
- Pre-concentrate and pre-treat the ore using crushing, milling, gravity concentration, leaching and flotation,
- All processes, such as electrorefining, acid digestion, calcining, smelting and slag treatment needed to recover gold to produce saleable metal.
Air Pollution Control
ELB Engineering Services provides a comprehensive range of dust and fume control technologies and systems for application over the complete value chain for material handling and processing operations. The systems ensure that our client’s facilities comply with newly promulgated, increasingly stringent emission standards.
ELB supplies both bag and cartridge filters. Bag filters tend to have the lowest equipment investment costs, and are suited a wide range of process conditions, while cartridge filters are suited to applications with varied flow rates and needing to handle ultra small particles.
- Pulse Jet Bag Filters enable economical collection of dust at high filter rates with collection efficiencies <99.99%. They can operate 24h/day and are fully-automated and self-cleaning, with no internal moving parts,
- Reverse-pulse cartridge-filters are suited to applications such as underground ventilation and fume collection. They also have no moving internal parts.
ELB Bag Houses remove dust at efficiencies >99.5%.
Bag houses are effective in a wide range of industries requiring pollution control systems: foundry, sawdust, steel mills, fly ash, cement, lime, mineral, food, and mining and minerals processing.
ELB Bag Houses offer a reduced footprint, high efficiency, long bag life, low maintenance costs, low power consumption and are easy to use.
The ELB Electrostatic Precipitator removes dust from industrial gases, offering low energy consumption, reducing dust content of more than 1,000g/m³ to any required dust content.
- Cement, limestone and gypsum production plants,
- Coal and biomass fired steam boilers,
- Refuse and sludge incinerators,
- Iron and steel production,
- Production plants in non-ferrous metal industry,
- Production plants in pulp and paper industry.
ELB systems for the removal of nitrogen oxides (Nox) enable industry to meet the recent, strict emission regulations that are aimed at imposing a carbon emission tax and also enforcing gas-emission standards that are in line with global norms.
Two types of systems are offered: Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and Selective Non-Catalytic (SCNR) De-Nox:
- SCR is a commercially proven flue gas treatment technology that has been demonstrated to remove over 98% of the NOx contained in combustion system exhaust gas,
- SNCR is a proven technology to convert NOx into N2 and H2.
DeNOx plants are applied in many industries including power, steel, metal furnaces, cement, petrochemical, waste to energy, paper and pulp and many others.
ELB supplies absorber technologies for the removal of sulphur oxides (Sox) from-flue-gas in biomass plants, waste incinerators and boiler applications. The high performance equipment enables industry to meet the recent, strict emission regulations that are aimed at imposing a carbon emission tax and also enforcing gas-emission standards that are in line with global norms.
Flue Gas Desulphurisation (FGD)
ELB supplies flue gas desulphurization (FGD) technologies to remove sulphur dioxide (SO2) from exhaust flue gases of fossil-fuel power plants, as well as from the emissions of other processes that give off sulphur oxide.
Flue gas desulphurization systems are custom designed to remove sulphur dioxide from flue gases using a variety of reagents, such as caustic, lime, limestone, ammonia, fly ash, magnesium oxide, soda ash, sea water or double alkali. Systems can be provided that recover sulphur, sulphuric acid or make dry gypsum from waste product.